Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Lobster Line

I've been riding the last few days with Jerry and Fred from New Jersey -- two strong riders in their 60's.  And, Leslie, a 30-something rider from Boston.  I call them the Lobster Line.   They found me riding alone a few days ago and sort of adopted me into their line.   They are all good riders so it is stretching me -- but it is so much better than trying to ride alone. They also have a healthy balance of stopping for coffee shops and to take a few photos while keeping a good pace and getting us to the end destination with plenty of time to spare.

Montana is beautiful.  As you ride, you can see the snow capped mountains.   And, the down hill portions of the mountains we climb more than make up for the struggle up.  Today I hit 46.4 miles an hour on the way down from one pass.   Rode pass the Continental Divide yesterday.   Having a blast.  Rebounded well with a "short" 78 mile ride today after yesterdays long ride in headwinds.

Funny thing on the ride today. Thunderstorms came and we all pulled off the road to have coffee in a Honky Tonk bar and grill -- the cleaning lady let us in (about 30 riders) and made us all coffee (charged only 50 cents) until the rain and wind passed through.    We are now in Ennis -- sort of a Cowboy tourist town.   The local High School will be our home -- but it is getting cold up here and they only have cold showers.  Brrr.   No place I'd rather be though -- except perhaps in Western Yellowstone -- which we are heading to in a few days. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ho Scott,
    I finally found my way to your blog site. What an adventure! The pace, scenery, inclement weather, cold showers, oatmeal, "Lobster Line", downhill speeds that make me , , , Whoa Scott!
    Great blog site by the way!
    David Nicholson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks David -- my wife put it together and I call her each night. Sometimes, I can access a computer and put something up myself. Thanks for checking it all out. And, finding a way to post a comment!

    ReplyDelete