Friday, June 25, 2010

Up and over Thompson Pass, Montana

Scott here -- I have very limited phone or computer access -- normally I just call into Cindy each night.  However, we finished by 3 p.m. today arriving in Thompson Falls High School.  I've pitched my tent out in the front part of the school.

Today's ride started at 7 a.m. out of Kellog, Idaho.   I started out on my own but then was passed by a group of three riders (two men from New Jersey and a woman from the Boston area).  I rode the entire way with this group of three from the east coast.  They were all slightly faster than I was so it pushed me and helped me through some tough spots.  

Indeed the toughest area was a five mile stretch up Thompson Pass in Montana.  Some grades were at about 8-9%.    Reached the top dripping in sweat!   We all met for lunch at the top of the pass and then bolted down the other side.  Without much effort I reached 43 miles an hour on the other side.  I was sure to check my tires and make sure my helmet was on good!   

Tomorrow we ride for 99 miles to Missoula, Montana.  This will be our fourth ride close to 100 miles this week.  I'm especially looking forward to connecting with my High School friend, Alex Gallegos, who owns a bike shop in Missoula.  I'm missing my 25th High School Reunion on this trip so I think my time with Alex will be my mini-reunion instead.    But if I'm going to miss my reunion, what a way to do it -- by biking across America. 

Today's ride was dedicated to my uncle and aunt, Mike and Sherry Purser.  Tomorrow will be dedicated to Nick and Lori Matchefts -- who sent me a nice post card that I received in Idaho.  Well, off to the showers (which are cold!). 

1 comment:

  1. 43 miles an hour? Whoa. Good thing there were no police men around. Once my mom got a speeding ticket on her bike, going down a mountain. Sounds like you are having a good time. Are you sore? Do you wake up exhausted in the morning? How's the food? And, have the gummies saved you yet? So many questions..

    ReplyDelete