Friday, July 30, 2010

Day 42 -- riding into town like horses

Just arrived into Plymouth, Wisconsin after a 69 mile ride from . . . wait a minute . . . where was I yesterday?  Beaver Dam, that's right.   Typically, I have to look at the route sheet we are given each day to remember both the date and current location.  This ride definately takes us into a different dimension of trying to figure out where we are and what date it is.  

Now that I'm oriented a bit -- let me say a few words about last night.  We stayed at Beaver Dam High School and it so happened that the local Beaver Dam Community Theatre company was doing Rodgers and Hammerstein's musical, Carousel.   So after dinner at a local Ponderosa Steak House -- we destroyed the buffett -- I came back to the High School and bought a ticket to the musical starting at 7:30 p.m.    The musical was good but not great.   I think one of the actor's grandmothers stood up to give it a standing ovation so the rest of us stood up as well.  As it ran late until 10: 30 p.m. I was dying to stand up anyhow.   That said, I"ve never seen the musical and it was worth sitting in the air conditioned theatre for three hours anyhow.    I know, not a raving review, but they sang well enough and it was good to have a diversion for the night.  

I've been on quite a run for evening entertainment.  Three days ago it was the Bike Museum in Sparta.  Then to the shows at the Circus World Museum in Baraboo and then the musical last night in Beaver Dam.   I'm a bit stumped what tonight may bring here in Plymouth.   I'm easily distracted and prone to wander the town for such things -- but I do need to do laundry and clean my bike and even rest a bit so if nothing big comes up I'm very happy to take it easy tonight.  

Not a lot to say about the ride.   The highlight was riding through one of the state national park areas with the shade from the forest canopy just after our picnic near the Butler Lake Recreaion area.   Plenty of rolling hills . . up and down . .  up and down.  I rode mostly alone today and linked up with a few riders here and there.   I think I took one photo of some cows next to a wind farm.  

It is fun to ride into our final town for the day.  It always feels like we are riding into town on horses.  I look a the small towns and can spot the bikes of fellow riders on each side of the small downtowns in each town. It has that feel of horses just tied up outside of a saloon.  Today a line of seven bikes were gathered together . . . sure sign that the coffee /  ice cream shop has been found.  I stopped for my root beer float at the Exchange Bank Coffee Shop and then headed for the Plymouth Public Library.  From here I saw a used book store that I'll drop in for a few minutes and then head over to the Plymouth High School to set up my tent (and air it out from last night's dew). 

A final look at my route sheet tells me this is day 42 of the 64 day trip.   Wow.   Tomorrow we will have only three more weeks to go having put six weeks behind us.   Thanks for reading along.

1 comment:

  1. I got caught up on your blogs today. I'm finding I experience a weird combination of excitement and jealousy when I read them--almost like I'm participating with you and yet wishing I'd "thought of doing that" a few (or maybe a lot) of years ago. It was fun to read about where you were riding in MN and WI--I've biked some of those places! Amazing what you and your group have accomplished!! Will we recognize you when you get back, fit and tan from your adventure? Continued blessings!

    ReplyDelete