Sunday, July 25, 2010

Home Sweet Home -- for 24 hours

Yesterday I rode as hard as I reasonably could, being helped along by my British friends, Martin Price and Jo Allen, who helped me arrive in Northfield, MN by 2 p.m.   I left at 7 a.m. and knew that this could be a long 100 miles from Hutchinson, MN to Northfield.     Generally the wind was in our favor and the hills just aren't the same as we experienced earlier in the Black Hills of South Dakota.   So we made good time and arrived at the Northfield High School where I showered and was met by Cindy who whisked me to our home in Richfield.

Great to be home and experience the small comforts.   Like sitting on my own sofa.  I was talking with Martin as we rode along a few days ago coming out of Watertown, South Dakota.  Martin briefly sat down on a sofa in the downtown area and simply reflected on this glorious experience and shared something simple, "It felt great, what a wonderful feeling just to sit on a sofa again."

Cindy and I then went out to a Mexican restaurant, had enchiladas and got caught up on our lives since we last saw each other more than five weeks ago before I left for Seattle.  Then we made quick stops to pick up a new camera and bike jersey before coming home to pet to the dog, do laundry and relax at home.   Oh, and I slept in until 5:50 a.m. this morning. 

Last night it was fun to look through some of the photos of the trip and just think back at all that we've seen along the way.  Attached is a shot of me in front of Devils Tower, Wyoming.   The truth is that I didn't even know it existed until this trip.  

Cindy will join me for parts of the next few nights -- attend our team dinner and meeting tonight in Northfield, meet some of the other riders, and then link up with me in Pepin, WI for a night before I continue on towards the east coast.  

2 comments:

  1. How fun to be able to meet up with Cindy. And, I love that photo. Every time I read your posts I say to Joe, "We HAVE to do this." I have vacation envy!

    I am writing this in between games of "Where's your kong?" I'm the eye-coverer. We are trying to store up lots of love for Lucy, cause today is our last day with her for 8 months. Hope she doesn't die of loneliness.

    We will be back in the home land one week from right this second.

    Keep pedaling hard. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun to hear from you and Joe -- I always enjoy thinking of out time together in Senegal. Nina was totally excited to see me again for about 15 minutes. Then it was, "Okay, I'm going to get back to sleeping in front of the air conditioner vent, call me if you want to go for a walk." A little joy home was taking her out for a walk with Cindy this morning. Can't wait to see you two when we connect again . . . in September?

    ReplyDelete