Monday, July 19, 2010

FROGS

If the theme of the last few rides has been grasshoppers -- today's emphasis was frogs -- not as many as the grasshoppers but plenty indeed along the road -- and lots of dead ones from the cars (and I suppose a few of our bicycles?).   

Today's report comes from the Miller Public Library in South Dakota. We are in the eastern part of South Dakota -- all the monuments and most of the mountains are finished - so this is full of heartland rides with plenty of wheat fields and crops being harvested.   Hardly a gas station or road side shop to be found for most of the 88 miles we rode from Pierre to Miller.  We did come across a wind farm with dozens of wind turbines (333 feet high) and a roadside marker (in the mud messying up several bikes).  But we did find some popsicles in the small town of Highmore, 63.8 miles into our ride.    Yep, those were the highlights -- frogs, popsicles, wind farms and wheat fields.   I'm on my way now to the Miller High School -- I think it will be a tent night rather than the gym.  

Yesterday was our day off in Pierre, South Dakota.  Surprisingly, I spent a lot of time riding around the city on my bike.  On Saturday, after a 90 mile day ride, I rode another 11 miles around the town including checking out the Lewis and Clark markers and trails.   I ate dinner at a small charming local Italian restaurant called La Ministra right in the heart of town.   Sunday I put on another 15 miles riding around the town -- breakfast at a Perkins (a sure sign I'm close to Minnesota), went to church with a fellow rider, bounced into the library, YMCA and the Pierre Mall for more sunblock, which I am buying now in bulk.   It was also relaxing to ride along the Missouri River and hit the local ice cream shop for another rootbeer float.    By the time I came back to our dorm at the Pierre Indian Learning Center I found I had biked around for at least 15 miles.   So, my day off time included at least 26 additional miles outside our normal 80-90 mile rides.   The thing is I'm enjoying it -- but the legs seemed a little tired today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment