Monday, August 2, 2010

A FAST 95 MILES

I'm tired.  Sleepy.  Could just crash right now but have to wait for dinner at 5:30 p.m. and then our ride meeting afterwards followed by a massage afterwards.  The massage is for my left hand -- things continue to go numb and it has been hard to shift and increasingly harder to do other more simple things like holding a plate of food or anything that requires lifting or pressure.   But I can pedal so pedal I do!

The ride today was 95 miles from Ludington, Michigan to Farwell, Michigan.   This whole week is going to be more of a milage week I heard several riders mention, with fewer things to see and more miles to get us across Michigan and into Ontario, Canada by next week.  We should end our week on the Canadian side of the Niagra Falls.   There is something strange about Ontario our tour director, Greg Walsh, indicated.  He said, "if you don't see someone walking around in a space alien suite, you haven't seen the real Ontario!"  Guess we'll find out more about this later.

For today's ride I rode the first half with one of the volunteer staff members of Cycle America, Scott Wood.  He specializes in sports massages and so I'll link up later this evening with him.  But he is a very strong rider and just laid back and rode with me to the half way picnic at 42 miles.   For me though, it really stretched me out and it was great to get going fast on a Monday morning after yesterdays day off.  Then I linked up after the lunch with Philippe, our French cyclist of the tour.   And we moved along quite fast for me (not for him!) and as we finished up the day I noticed my average speed for the day was an incredible 17 miles an hour for the entire day.    We had a tail wind to be sure, but riding with these stronger guys really sped up my day as well.  

It was nice to finish the 95 miles by 2 p.m.  -- set up our tents at Farwell High School, home of the Eagles, and head off to do laundry.    A few blocks over was the Public Library where I am posting this report.   Time to run off to dinner.  

No comments:

Post a Comment