Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Moved to Wonder

"People are moved to wonder by mountain peaks, by vast waves of the sea by broad waterfalls and rivers, by the all-embracing extent of the ocean, by the revolutions of the stars.  But in themselves they are uninterested."   -- Augustine of Hippo

We travelled 82 miles from Farwell, Michigan to Frankenmuth, Michigan today.   Yesterday I mentioned that I averaged 17 miles an hour for the whole of 95 miles.  Today was no slacker day either as I looked and saw my bike computer at 17.3 -- on a day that included plenty of both tailwinds and headwinds.    After lunch I grouped up with three other guys (Philippe from France, Martin from England, Bob (?) from Ohio) and we drafted with each other fighting through the headwinds.  Great fun but also hard work -- I'm a bit of the novice of the bunch so this is sort of like cycling camp for me.  

What I wanted to mention was how I see this quote from Augustine played out in our Cycle America tour.   Yes, we totally see the wonders of America.   Mountain peaks, think the Teton mountains.   Seas and Oceans -- we just crossed Lake Michigan and of course started from the Pacific Ocean from Seattle.   Stars -- I wish you could see the stars like we saw them in Montana and Wyoming.  Pure beauty.   Waterfalls -- we are on our way to see the Niagara Falls but have also seen dozens of them, especially coming out of the hills at the Cascade Mountains.   Rivers -- we cycle by them constantly including going over the Mississippi River, I wish I knew the names of all the others, including the one made famous by "A River Runs Through It" in Montana.   So this trip, outside of cycling is a wonder of beauty.   Slam dunk, hands down, a very wonderful way to slowly see the beauty of God's nature.  

And there is a beauty and true wonder in so many of those that I'm riding, eating, tenting and cycling with every day.  

There is Casey Gerety, an 18 year-old young lady, that skipped her graduation to come on this ride.  We all held an informal graduation for her! 

Mark Oncale, a 81 year-old man from New Orleans, started this trip as the fourth time to travel across the country by bicyle.  Our hearts were broken when he developed a nerve problem and had to pull out after a month of riding with us.   But now his dauthter, Sheree, has decided to ride the rest of the way in his honor.

Glenn Derussy from Colorado lost his wife due to cancer in February.  They always wanted to do something like this.  He is riding the trip in her honor. 

Jo Allen is a 32 year-old woman from England who is doing three huge cycling challenges as she took a leave of absence from her job.   She did a cycling camp in California that followed the Tour de California. She is crossing the country with us, and will end with doing some massive rides through the Alps -- and raising funds for charities along the way.

Kari, Larry and Nathan Noomen are riding as a family together.   Nathan is in Community College in California and it is refreshing to see them all enjoy the ride.

Philippe Melot from France has forgotten more American history than I have learned.  He is a retired lawyer writing a book about American - French relationships since the founding of America.   His wife is also a librarian and we are looking forward to connecting with our wives together when all this cycling comes to an end.   And, he loves America and rides with the American flag flying from his bike saddle.

Martin Prime, a 37-year-old man from England, decided to do this ride because it was the longest ride across America he could find. He loves cycling and has been a good friend along the way.

Jan and Marnix Landman -- a father and son combo from Holland.   They are fondly known as the Holland Express as they "race" across America together. Strong riders who love to stop at every coffee shop along the way.  And it is fun to see them grow as not only father and son but friends.   

Dan Olson, a 46-year-old cheese worker from Wisconsin who loves to cycle.  He has a touching story as a heart transplant survivor.   It would melt you into tears. 

Time and space do not allow me to continue -- forgive me for this especially if you are someone I missed -- Margaret, Norma, Eve, Tony, Tom, Terry, Frank and others. We have about 60 folks riding this week.

I need to close this blog entry but do you see what I mean?   Those that are with me -- sleeping in the tents next to me, passing me along the road, eating with me three meals a day,  are wonders as much as the oceans, rivers, mountains and waterfalls.     I'm seeing so many wonders but it is easy to forget that some of them are right next to me.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Scott,

    It's the Gallatin River in Montana.

    Tim Stuck

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to watch the movie or read the book when I get home. It was great fun to see folks fly fishing in it! Thanks! Best -- Scott

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, read the book. I recently watched the movie again and found that the best parts are really the scenes of fly fishing - about 10 minutes of the 2+ hour movie. More adult themes than I remember the first time I watched it.

    Happy Trails!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just read this one today Scott. Thanks for sharing, just what I needed. :)

    ReplyDelete