Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Simple Pleasures

We rode from Stowe, Vermont to Littleton, New Hampshire today for a total of about 72 hilly miles.   But the cycling felt like I was on autopilot with my legs just taking me where they were supposed to go as I rode with Philippe (France) in the morning and Martin (UK) in the afternoon.   Vermont is a beautiful place to ride but so far the roads have been a little rough and narrow. My allergies are acting up so there was a little frustration but all very managable.

What came to mind today was the small simple pleasures that have become a part of the trip.   Last week I was sharing about the big wonders such as the Niagara Falls.  But there are small joys that we have learned to especially appreciate.   As I spoke with other riders here were some of their small pleasures:

Chocolate Milk.  Somehow it is a cyclists dream to have the cold and sweet drink that many of us haven't had since fifth grade. 

Root Beer Floats.  I had at least four on the trip -- decided to cut back a little.  One rider gave me the tip to order them at Dairy Queen as you can keep refilling the Root Beer if they give you too much ice cream. 

Shade under a tree.   We have been outside so much that I have become a complete tree hugger -- looking for all the shade a tree can give.

Park benches.   Great not only to sit on but good places to lock up a bike and explore the town.  A picnic table under shade is an exceptionally great thing to lay down on as you wait for dinner at 4 p.m. in the afternoon near a creek (yesterdays experience exactly). 

Tail winds.   Lovely.  They make us all feel like superheros on our bicycles.

A hot shower.  You wouldn't believe how many gym showers are either cold or luke warm at best.   Right up here would be good water pressure.  

Roadside blackberries and cherries.

Small acts of kindness.  I was coming out of the shower the other day and thought to myself, "Wouldn't it be great if someone gave me a bar of soap.  (I had just finished it that day).   Sure enough one of our riders bought a two pack bar of soap and just asked, "anyone need a bar of soap."   Simple things.

Public Libraries.  I don't carry a computer with me so I am at the mercy of the local public libraries and using their computers along the way.  I have to say it is great fun to see all the assorted styles and attitudes and just tone of the staff.   Some have coffee brewing and others made special efforts to let me know that water bottles are not allowed in the library.   Some love to ask about where we are coming from and going to.  Others just want to make sure we know that we have only 30 minutes on the computer!   Which reminds me my time is just about up!  

Only three more riding days to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment