Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Seven Natural Wonders of our Trip across America

We rode about 95 miles from Albion, NY to Sodus, NY today.   Fairly uneventful ride except we did have some nice glances of Lake Ontario from time to time.   It was relaxing to finish the ride at Sodus Point, New York before heading to the Village of Sodus where we are staying at the local public school.  
One sad note was a woman named Judy from Missouri who was in an accident yesterday and I heard broke her collar bone.   She had riden with us for the first three weeks of the trip and then was just joining us again this week. On the first ride of the week (Monday) she collided with another rider and won't be able to continue.

We are all very conscious of our last two weeks together.  Yesterday as I rode along I started to think of seven natural wonders that we have seen along the way.  Here they are:

1) Cascade Mountains.  Located in Washington these were the first mountains we passed and they were a good challenge as it was raining and even had snow at the top of the pass when we crossed them the last week of June.  I had never heard of these mountains before so to see the waterfalls coming out of the mountain as we rode up the hill was a real treat and blessing.   It reminded me how often good things come out of our struggles.

2) Teton Moutains.  This was my first time to see these fabulous peaks.  To ride and ride and ride with them in front of us as we came closer and closer was great fun. To go over the pass and see them close up on the front side was even more spectacular.   Slam dunk awesome and a significant cycling challenge to climb up and around them.

3) Devils Tower, Wyoming.  I think I'm the last person not to watch "Close Encounters of a Third Kind" which I blame in part for not knowing about this rock formation.   Wow.   We spent an off day hiking around it and camped so close we could see it directly as we got out of our tents.   Thanks to Teddy Roosevelt for making this one of the first national park sights to preserve it for future generations.

4) The Black Hills of South Dakota.   I had to lump several things together as our week of riding through South Dakota was one of the best.  Every rider remembers riding on the Needles Highway and past the Cathedral Spires.  It turned out to be a cyclist's roller coaster of a ride as we also went through Spear Fish Canyon, enjoyed one lane tunnels through huge rocks, pig tail bridges and then ended with the monuments of Crazy Horse and Mount Rushmore.   

5) The Badlands, South Dakota.  Even though I had seen them before I had never cycled through these interesting rock formations.  The best way I could put it is that this was as close to cycling on the moon as I will ever get.   We rode slowly for about 30 miles through the Badlands just taking our time and enjoying each stop along the road.  As a group we just had fun together and slowed down to take photos and be together.  Thanks South Dakota -- you really surprised me!

6) The Great Lakes -- Lake Michigan, Lake Erie, and Lake Ontario.  We took a five hour boat ferry  ride across Lake Michigan on the SS Badger and then rode along the shores of Lake Erie and Lake Ontario in parts of Michigan, Ontario and New York.

7) Niagara Falls, Canada and New York.   I'm a huge waterfall guy so this was one of my dreams to finally see.   I knew that someday I would have a chance to see it but didn't think I would end up biking for two months to make this dream come true!  And, it was good fun to hang out with my new biker friends as we took the Maid of the Mist boat tour and even ate breakfast on one of the towers high above the falls.

We now have 10 more riding days through New York and New England.   Each of us are trying to finish the trip well and enjoy not only the big sights but the small simple pleasures as well like having ice cream after long 95 mile rides on humid days.   Soon I will list some of the simple small pleasures of this trip as well.

Thank you for following along,

No comments:

Post a Comment